Tuesday 16 June 2015

A brief sojourn in Vietiane

Well this doesn't really constitute the start of the trip, but I need to work out how to do this blogging thingy....
Shock horror today, I realised there was no Beer Lao left in the fridge & the local supermarket only had Heineken ... So a quick trip to Laos was in order I thought. The fact that I also needed to do a visa run meant two birds with one stone ....not bad for a Tuesday!
So a short flight booking courtesy of some left over TG air miles & a hotel courtesy of some left over New Zealand, Singapore & other foreign currency & lo and behold, here I am in Vientiane, Laos, looking across the Mekong to Nong Khai in Thailand - sorted!
Just after I got here it started raining ... I think they need to put some big fans up to blow it over to the Thai side though as they are heading for a drought at the moment (then probably a flood later this year just to even things out!).
So, first impressions of Laos? .... Well the airport's sort of quaint/sleepy and the toilets are the same ones they have in Indonesia (i.e. a bit more down market than the setup in Suvarnabhumi). The taxi reminded me of Nigeria, don't know where they had dug it up from, bottom of the Mekong maybe.
But on the positive side the same friendly smiling people you find all over SE Asia, & they speak Thai - well sort of. Only problem is they drive on the wrong side of the road - that will be the French influence for you I suppose!

I went for a quick stroll to see what's around ...




No comments:

Post a Comment