Tuesday 21 July 2015

Experiential Learning!

One of the things that had been playing on my mind was having to deal with punctures in the middle of nowhere.  So I decided that I should practice changing a set of tyres in the relative comfort of my own garage to see if I could actually do it!
I was also shortly to go on my second off road training day, and learning from last time, I needed to fit some more suitable tyres. Kill 2 birds with one stone, I thought - how hard can it be, after all? I was about to find out ....
Starting with the 'easier' front thre and removing the wheel, my confidence was high.
Getting the old tyre off was not too bad, but it was quite a struggle getting the new one fitted, the sidewalls were stiffer than I expected ... First inklings that the rear might be a problem emerged ...
Anyway, front refitted I proceeded to remove the rear wheel - a bit more tricky this one, due to sprockets, chains etc but before too long it was off.

My first attempt at removing the front was using the zip tie method that looks so simple on you tube - didnt work for me, I found it easier to take it off the normal way with tyre irons.

So i started the back tyre the same way, but couldnt get the second side over the lip, then I tried using the zip ties to reduce the diameter, but that didnt really help. Much lubricating, shoving and heaving later it finally came off the traditional way.
So all that remained was to fit the new tyre.  

Although the sidewalls were very stiff I got the first side on relatively easily and tube in OK.  Try as I might, however,  I just couldnt get the second side over the rim. The absence of photos of this part are due to my growing frustration, several cuts & bruises and focus on the job .....

After 2 hours I finally gave up, jumped in the car with the half fitted wheel & popped into the local tyre shop to have it put on with their machine!  Somewhat dejectidly, I came back home & refitted the wheel, chain, brakes & abs all ok.

So what I have I learned?   I can remove, repair & refit a font tyre on the side of the road if necessary.  The rear I can remove & repair but not refit .... Bit of an issue if I get a rear puncture in somewhere remote .... No immediate solution, but at least I know now.

Experiental learning complete!


No comments:

Post a Comment