Wednesday 7 October 2015

Luang Prabang to Vientiane

Day 65 Sunday 4th October 338 km (19638 km total)

 

 

Back to where it all started - well not really, but it will do

- - - -

 

The reference to where it all started refers to my blog - my first post as a newbie / novice blogger (bloogie or blovice maybe?) was in Vientiane back in June.
I had popped over to renew my Thai visa, as I had deliberately allowed my long term visa to expire, to prevent any possible problems when I tried to temporarily import my bike later on.
So in blogging terms today was to bring me full circle.
After another lovely breakfast on the banks of the mekong (nice guest house, the Nam Khan Riverside) I set off into the damp morning air and immediately onto nice roads through the beautiful Laos countryside.
 

 

After about an hour the warning signs appeared that all may not continue in the same vein.

 
Another bit of road improvement was underway ...

Paul Simon's 'Slip Sliding Away' probably wasnt the best track to be playing on the ipod as I approached this bit of road, with a mud stream running down it!

Just round the corner, I wanted to start driving in the left ...

Then there was a landslip actively being cleared away ...

Before the roads returned to there previous pristine state .

 
This poor chap hadn't been able to make it around the corner on this steep down hill section.

Down in the valley's village life cartied in as it must have for years.

And as I approached Vientiane, rain clouds made there presence felt.

 
Crossing a river, the scenery was doing a fair impression of phang na bay in southern thailand.
On arriving at this nights hotel, I parked the Tiger discretely between two ageing Mercedes! The S Park Design Hotel, had a Mercedes theme going on, the reception desk was made from the front half of one!
A nice new boutique hotel, just outside the city, fabulous rooms for about £28 per night, a bar & restaurant and even a night club in the basement (Russ take note!)
 

The last border crossing tomorrow, & the beginning of the end of my 17 country adventure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment