Wednesday 12 June 2019

10th June - Norway to Denmark

So here it was, my last day in Norway - I seem to have been travelling the Fjords for a long time.  For sure it is the longest time in any single country of this trip, but still only 11 days. Though because that’s been without a break from riding, it seems longer - moreover its actually been 18 days since I had a break from riding - maybe that’s why I’m feeling a little drained!

Anyway, good news - the sun is out this morning, so I pack up and leave my wooden hut in the mountains and head south.


The road continues on from yesterday. But without the rain it looks even better.


At one point the road veered to the right to avoid hitting what I can only assume is a dam.  I tried to find a way around or up it to check that out, but there was no road, anywhere I could see that went up.


So I continued on my way gradually descending form the high plateau.


As I descended my SatNav (which was linked to my phone) started warming me of delays on the planned route and offered diversions. 

One of these essentially went around the approaching large lake using a single track road on the opposite side to the main road and, whilst it added a little time and distance. Looked more interesting, so off I went.

Good choice ...




Back on the main road I had a brief stop at (yet another) waterfall, this one called Reirsfossen, I think


After that it was an uneventful run down into Kristiansand for my ferry to Denmark.  I had chosen to use the high speed Sea Kat crossing (2.5 hours) and at the last minute had upgraded my ticket (by €18) to get a reserved seat and an all you can eat and drink buffet.  A real bargain that proved to be and highly recommended if you are ever out that way. 

Once in Denmark, I had a short 20 minute ride to a small B&B I had booked

The owner had said I would be sharing with another biker when I booked the day before.  Emilio is from Spain and had ridden up to Denmark on his 20 year old vespa and (get this) was leaving in the morning to ride it around Iceland! That put me in my place!

Very nice chap, who takes pleasure in doing things a little differently - we borrowed the owners garage and spent a little while trying to figure out where his (very minor) fuel leak was coming from.



No comments:

Post a Comment