Wednesday 15 May 2019

13th May - Annoying niggles & the Black Forest to the Alpine Road

It was a cold night and I woke to a layer of frost on the grass around the tent.  The good news was my  combination of sleeping gear had kept me warm all night, the bad news was that, for some inexplicable reason, I had been mostly awake since 4 am and so was not in the best frame of mind.
‘A good hot shower will sort that’, I thought to myself and headed off to the shower block complete with ‘get this’ heated floors!
So not only was I the ‘only camper in the village’ I had my own suite of heated shower rooms to choose from - luxury!  However, normality resumed when of course the shower token decided to run out half way though and I had to rinse off with cold water!
Anyway, an inordinate amount of time later (I’m out of practice) I had packed up my camping gear, reloaded the bike and was heading off through the black forest past the picturesque church just down the road from the campsite.


For some reason my satnav did not like the route I had worked out and uploaded whilst in the UK.  
I had been trialling a new route planning app, which seemed to be great for planning this kind of trip and allowed each day’s planned trip to be uploaded to the sat nav.  I don't normally use a planned trip in this way, preferring to just have a destination in mind each day and then sort of follow my nose to get there, however I thought I’d give this method a go.
The problem seemed to be that the SatNav’s logic seemed to be fighting for dominance with the route planning app’s pre-planned route,  constantly trying to re-route my to a different road.  Very frustrating and I eventually turned it off and resorted to following my nose again.  I have since found out that you have to switch off -auto re-route’ on the sat nav to stop this impertinent techno behaviour .... its all in the user manual, but whoever reads those 🤣
Need less to say the black forest (B500) was all that had been promised, picturesque scenery, sweeping curves a riding delight (hence very few pictures as I had not mounted my helmet cam yet)
After a couple of hours I headed east towards Fussen and the start of the Alpine road.  The Alps beckoned in the distance.
I stopped for the night at a small B&B just outside Fussen and took a stroll down to the lake for something to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment