Wednesday 15 May 2019

14th May - Weather & The Alpine Road to Konigsee

A canny move getting a B&B for the second night.

Based on previous experience I’ve found it takes me up to a week to get properly in rhythm with daily travelling and all the unpacking, assembly, disassembly and repacking that goes on.  So I had planned to camp the first night B&B the second whilst I worked out what I needed to do differently.  The clincher though was heavy rain was forecast overnight and in the morning and I didn't fancy packing everything in the pouring rain!

And rain it did, fair belting it down all night - it looked like the Alpine road might be a wash out.  The first hour was and then the clouds started to break and the full beauty of the landscape opened up before me.
I headed first along a small road by Plansee - a glorious road that snakes along side a river and then the lake - quite level but lovely to ride.

However, shortly after that the rain returned with a torrential vengeance.  Moreover, every-time I headed up an alpine loop, the rain turned to sleet and was so heavy it was all getting a little unpleasant with my mood sinking to match.


It was still raining heavily when I arrived at Konigsee, so I opted for another B&B and headed for the pub to drown my sorrows and try and find a route through the Austrian Alps into Slovenia.  I had found out during the day that all three of the passes that I had planned to use were remaining closed for another 1 to 2 weeks due to recent heavy snow - bummer!




No comments:

Post a Comment