Wednesday 15 May 2019

15th May - In search of a pass to Slovenia


It was still raining in the morning and the websites I had been consulting were still showing all the nearby passes closed apart from the motorway, which I was determined not to take.  Also the Vsric pass which I had planned to be my spectacular entry into Slovenia was also closed due to deep snow, necessitating a complete re-think of my Slovenian route.

There seemed to be just one possibility in terms of the Austrian passes, the Obertauern, which was showing open with regards to snow but closed due to re-construction following a rockfall I believe.  I figured if I could get to the roadworks they might let a lone motorcyclist through - its happened before.  So that was my plan - if that didn't work, i’d have to take a multi-hour diversion.


I had quite a diversion to get to the Obertauern, which started pleasant enough, with the rain mainly being drizzle at lower levels.   By the time I had reached the start of the pass, the rain had turned to sleet and the temperature dropped to 1.5 degrees.


The road itself would make a glorious ride in good weather as it wound its way along a gorge and steadily climbed.  I hit the road works about half way up and it was open but controlled by temporary lights.  Half the road was covered with piles of rock and it seems they closed it only during the afternoons and nights to allow the reconstruction work to continue.  Good choice to take this route then.

Not long after, I reached the snow line and the road continued up to the summit.  It was all clear but quite slippy in places as the temperature had now dropped to minus 1.5 degrees.



I pulled off the road near the summitt into a layby and nearly lost it as whatever they had been putting on the road to stop it freezing was not on the lay-by!  Time for a selfie...


Once over the summit and heading down the other side, the weather started to improve a little and though still only 2 degrees and raining a little it was an enjoyable ride.





As I approached the Austrian / Slovenian border something caught my eye just off the track in the forest so I went for a look .... didn't seem to be any indication why it was there but it had clearly been there for some time.


A little further on I seamlessly entered Slovenia, open borders really are a great thing when travelling.



Slovenia weas one of my ‘must visit’ countries on this trip after I had spent a couple of days going through on my 2015 trip to Thailand.  It struck me then as having a great combination of beautiful un-spoilt scenery, great riding roads and really friendly people and I was looking forward to returning.


The pictures say it all ....




Finally I made it to Lake Bled, the stopping point for the night.  Tonights task is to work out a new route around Slovenia now that I cannot do the circuit I originally planned due to the passes being closed.





2 comments:

  1. Now that takes me back. We camped on lake Bled in 1970. There was a huge thunderstorm one night.
    IanB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that takes me back. We camped on lake Bled in 1970. There was a huge thunderstorm one night.
    IanB

    ReplyDelete