Friday 7 August 2015

On to Croatia

Day 7 345km (2705km total)

On the road one week already! Do I look seasoned yet?

Bike is running well, a little bit of oil showing on one side, dont think its a problem, but keeping an eye on it. Got my tent pitching off to a fine art now and slowly sorting out the packing so I can remember where everything is. I abandoned a pair of shoes in France, figured one was enough & might ditch the travel pillow too as I have found my down jacket stuffed in the sleeping bag hood works better. Satnav & satellite-tracker, camera & helmet camera all working & charging off the bike on the move. My best buys? .... The 60 Baht camping stool I bought in Bangkok!

Today's mission was to get to Trogir in Crioatia, but not before I had explored a few more of the local roads in Slovenia, so I got up early to be greeted by a heavy mist over the river - a bit damp but lovely & fresh.

The guy in the next tent must have heard me getting ready as just as I was about to leave, he came over & asked me to join him and his son for a morning cup of Turkish coffee. He was Slovenian, but apparently Slovenians like Turkish coffee best. A very nice start to the day.

After an hour of pleasant conversation I slowly jittered away on the Tiger (caffeine overdose & no breakfast!) and headed down the lanes enjoying the ever lovely scenery. Before long, however, it was time to turn towards the border (only a few miles away from where I was staying).

This was the first border where I had needed to stop & have my passport checked, no issue but quite different from france-italy-slovenia. Quite soon the lanscape became drier and more rugged, it was also very hot. I opted to jump onto the expressway for a while as I wanted to have time for a look around in Trogir.

On the toll road for some reason, I picked up a police patrol car who seemed to want to have a game of cat & mouse wIth me. He came out of a service station & sat on my tail for 20 minutes, then went in front of me but slowed down, presumably trying to get me to overtake him. When I pulled off into a service station he stopped just down the road & waited until I came out and then continued the game. This went on for about an hour until I pulled a double switchback at the next service area & he either didnt see where I had gone or just gave up. Weird experience!

I came off the toll road for the last hour or so and headed for the coast road.

All very dry as you can see. I did a double take when I saw what looked like a ramp at the side of the road & almost rode up it, but thought it might be one of PC Plod's little games.

Then the sea came into view, never fails to excite me when I first see the sea!

 

That's Trogir, down there...

Quite few tight bends as the road weaved its way down to the sea.

And there Was Trogir ... Nice little coastal town, a bit too touristy for my liking, but some good sights.

 

Tomorrow its down past Dubrovnik, through a little sliver of Bosnia and then onto Montenegro.

Cheers,

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment